Tuesday, November 3, 2009

when will chapa rides be non-eventful?

Is there a limit to the amount of animals that can fit ontop a chapa? Apparently not. I have been in Inhassoro, running on the beach each night with Sara, and making delicious food with her and Hans (the 2 Peace Corp volunteers). Life is not too bad. Today I bought a fresh papaya and left for Inhassoro by chapa. If I had taken a car it would be about an hour drive. With a chapa, once again, you never know. Sometimes I wish I could have someone with me just to laugh at the things I see. To so many people it is just everyday-life. After loading and unloading the chapa with people and cargo, stuffing it so full you would think that it was going to burst (it actually had burst > the door popped off the hinges and two old ladies and a man were hanging out the open door side), they stopped to load up 4 one-hundred pound bags of salted/dried fish on top the chapa and then on the other side of the street 5 full-grown, live goats bleating their terrible cries. Of course 3 minutes later a bouquet of chickens (4 chickens tied together at the legs) was added to the sagging top-rack…a couple more minutes a man carrying a duck and a rooster entered… the trip was easily over 3 hours. Finally got into Vilanculos alive an well…papaya still in tacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment