Saturday, April 24, 2010

The America of Africa - a coloberation of adventures

Mozambiqu driving to Zambia (through Zimbabwe)-

After many car break-downs and a day and a-half spent waiting for car repairs in Zimbabwe, I arrived with my Moz-CR’s (Country Representatives) in Zambia. From Zambia, after connecting with other MCCers, I traveled down Zambia, through Botswana to reach South Africa. Once in South Africa travels became independent to introduce more adventures to my plate.

April 13 / 10

Sticking your toes over the edge of a 111 Meter open drop over white water rapids may not sound thrilling to some, but it sure was for me.

I connected with the MCC-South African CRs, James and Joan, and took the ride with them to their home country South Africa. First stop along the way => Zambia, Victoria Falls. Being Menno, heart and blood, I am always looking for deals as well as good stories to tell over a bowl of hot borscht. Every good Menno knows savings comes in ‘bulk’ so I went for the package deal. This ‘Package deal’ included zip-lining, bungee jumping and gorge swinging Victoria Falls. I had my fill of butterflies that morning as well as the audience that watched my continuously jump in 3 different forms off the 111 M high bridge. Afterwards, to relax, I stood on the ‘Knife Point Bridge’ where overspray from the falls instantly drenches you in shower-temperature water. I was in my glory. By myself yes, but laughing uncontrollably. Perhaps there was something in the water... any who... I did not have a problem because the roar of the falls masked all other hullabaloo (

We (James, Joan and I) stayed in a backpackers hostel which was packed full of young people traveling over South Africa. It was 10 US bucks a night complete with a pool, restaurant and bar, a giant pillow lounge and more. The next night we spent in beautiful Botswana at another hostel which was not as much of a party place but equally as pleasing. We arrived late to the quiet cabin feeling, pool equipped, mini-cabin lodge. It was crisp out and the huge fluffy cloud like sheets were delightful. Better than those starchy covers you pay 80 bucks a night for at a musty hotel.


The next morning on our way to South Africa we stopped numerous times to say hello to the HUGE elephants on the side of the road. They were just chilling there, wild, free, beautiful. The skin on these magnificent creatures is like that leathery old woman on the beach who has spent far too many of her youthful years in the sun, still is oblivious and is smearing on the baby oil still. Its giant fly-swatter ears and rubber trunk complete the perfect awkwardness of it all.


Rolling hills and fields of sunflowers, grains and bails... others dotted with healthy cows of browns, whites, blacks, and tans. Traveling with James and Joan is a good time. They like to stop in on little town-ships for cups of tea and cookies, have picnic lunches on the way and enjoy the scenery. There is no way like traveling in style.


April 24 / 10

My adventures take me from the cozy home of James and Joan in Pietermaritzburg to the bustling city in Durban where I stayed at a backpackers meeting great people, visiting the bustling markets during the day and even the biggest mosque in all South Africa. after discovering bead market after Indian market after meat market, after clothing market, witchdoctor market, fish market, market, market, market.... the German girl (that I had connected with at hostel and joined me on my days gallivant) was tiered I may have been dragging her around a bit forgetting that she was not used to the culture and atmosphere. So we took to evening off and watched the sun set on the beach with one of the World Cup stadiums in the distant point of the bay.

From Durban I fly to Cape Town -


I have never been to Europe, but it’s as close as I have ever been. The backpackers (Longstreet backpackers) located on Long St. (how appropriately named) is in the middle of the hub and happening of most all events. The amounts of cafes were infinite and craft shops overtaking. Being in wine country it was only appropriate to see the gorgeous wineries and sample some of the delicacies with local cheese. The next day climbed Cape Hope, one of the most southern points of all South Africa on the peninsula. Touched white sand deserted beaches with large waves crashing. It really is a different world this side of Africa. There were many times I forgot I even was here on the safe continent.

From Cape Town I bus to Port Elizabeth –

The one day I stay in PE was cold and rainy. The intense wind did not stop me from going adventuring and exploring with a fellow backpacker from England, Anthony. Our goal the whole day was to find the art exhibit that was on according to a local ad on a street post. On the way exploring we stumbled on the IRON MAN competition and wandered around the exhibit getting free samples of powerjuice and powerbars. Once we were re-fuelled we bussed around the town looking for the crazy art gallery. When we finally made it cold and wet from the rain, we stopped in at their cafe for tea and cake for only R15 (fifteen rand ~$2). Unfortunately the cakes were coming in the next day, but after having a small conversation with the little lady that ran the place she made banana-caramel pancakes and tea for us with whip cream. How sweet.

From Port Elizabeth I fly to Johannesburg –

Into the big bad city of Joberg. Met up with more MCCers to stay in their quaint town house. Today I was able to see the world heritage site where archaeologists are still digging up old human fossils. I learnt heaps about stalagmites and stalactites and explored around in some sweet caves!

Making a venture back to my home Mozambique tomorrow. Adventures continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment