Friday, September 25, 2009

phantom of the africa

I ran my first yoga/workout classes yesterday with the girls. I have some yoga books, which I got them to choose out fun positions. Technique is defiantly not the goal at this point, but rather to try new things and expand horizons. After, I broke out some skipping ropes and showed them my moves I can do on a single rope. Then they showed me their games and moves in groups. They defiantly showed me a solid part of their culture > they work together. I can do really well skipping by myself, but they do really well, (and fast!) when they jump together and synchronize. Perhaps this year in Africa will teach me to synchronize. It is one of those things I need to work on, and they don't let me go a day without hearing “Vai solzinha!?” (You’re going ALONE!?).

I have made friends with a young woman who lives next to the center with her husband who is a policeman in Machanga. Vania is her name and is so sweet. I’m not sure if we connected because she speaks Portuguese and does NOT speak Ndau (she is from Xai Xai, not Machanga) or because she likes to bake. But I asked her to teach me to bake a cake the African way, over a charcoal Mozambican stove. It took the whole afternoon but was absolutely delish. We sat on a bamboo mat outside and talked and drank apple juice as the sun and cake baked. She told me that the trick is to put coals on top of the lid so the top of the cake gets done just right. My plan is to bake with the girls for birthdays etc.

As I have mentioned, I have made friends with many people in town. One of the shops invited me for lunch today. Family and friends from Portugal came. It is a Mozambiquan woman and a Portuguese (from Portugal) man who own the shop. They are quiet well off considering the quality and type and amount of food and drink that was served. I thought that we were done after having GIANT (and so delicious) shrimp and clams, but then fish came after. Then goat and French fries, etc etc etc. I was quite stuffed and before they could shove more food in me, luckily I had Tia Casilda come to take me away. She is quite protective and watchful over me.

Today, the 25th is Mozambique’s independence day, so it was another holiday. The presidents wife came to speak, so people gathered with drums and music and energy. The girls and I just finished watching Phantom of the Opera. I was actually my first time seeing it, but they were totally enthralled even though they could not understand most of it. I explained the story line as we went along. I want to have a movie night once a week, to keep me sane, them educated and all of us entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment