Wednesday, September 23, 2009

im connected! its a miracle

September 19, 2009 > my voyage ‘home’

Early this morning I was dropped off at the chapa stop. I was very pleased for this time the chapa was one of the reject-Chinese-tourist buses which is much larger and more comfortable then the chapa-vans that I usually get (around town is okay, but over 10 hours is difficult to stay in one sweaty position with multiple packages and pineapples on lap). This chapa driver was an investor I could tell, he was the only owner of this vehicle, had a cell-phone in hand, a flash-drive for music, stereo and sub-woofer. I was seated the row behind the driver, there was a seat empty beside me so I had enough room to move my legs and pack. Techno music blasted and it was overcast so it wasn't too hot. This was going to be one good ride home.

I woke up 2 hours into the trip because I could not breath. The engine was beneath my feet and it was defiantly crapping out. We went in first gear for a while and I watched as the poor driver sweated and fretted until we came to a stop… luckily in a little town so that locals could sell us food and drink. The driver lifted the hatch and started cutting oily tubes and tightening things; techno music still blasting, vehicle still running. I thought the engine would blow my face off so I exited the vehicle for the couple hours we were stranded. I practiced my Ndau with another stranded woman who has patience for my limited speech. She is Catholic and we prayed together so we could get going. When we were finally on our way, I was amazed the vehicle still worked. I really have to give the driver a hand> Usually the chapa drivers have young boys as helpers and go-to’s but this man fixed that engine, unloaded luggage and people, collected money, etc all himself.

Home sweet home. Machanga is known for its dust. Since my door is not insolated, and has a fairly large crack underneath, all my stuff inside my room has a nice layer of dust. Just add water, instant matope! (mud).

September 21, 2009 > Ring the Gong

Today I started my teaching schedule. The girls go to school in 2 different shifts, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. So I gathered all the girls together yesterday, Sunday afternoon, to explain to them the many ideas I have. We discussed some things and I wrote down our activities for the week on a calk board they have. Today we constructed a calendar, tomorrow we will sing and dance, Wednesday we will draw, Thursday is yoga and gymnastics, Friday: English. The plan is to teach for at least an hour, 8 am for the morning crew, and 2 pm for the afternoon crew. The calendar making was a hit and a good group working exercise since there are only 12 months and 40 girls. Leadership roles are evident in activities such as these. Also, I have an idea to design a mural with the girls and paint it on the wall of the cement dorm. This exercise is great to see who really has the eye for art.

Tia Casilda was actually gone visiting family, and just arrived today. She was not shy when coming into my room and wanting to inspect the new things I had brought. Hoping the girls keep enjoying the learning activities I provide, and I don't run out of ideas too fast! I think they are becoming more comfortable with me, I was asked to teach them capoeira yesterday afternoon, and they ask if I want to go water the community garden with them. As well, the community seems to all know my name. Even people I have never formally met, and I have other girls outside the Center asking if I can teach them capoeira as well. If I want to get to a destination on foot by 10 I should leave by 8:30, because there are ALWAYS people on the way and you cannot just walk away from the conversation even if you are busy, they always assume the other person will understand… and here… usually they do.

September 23, 2009 > 2 scoops, only 2 scoops

So far my one-hour ‘classes’ with the girls are extended past the given hour for extra practice or more activities. Yesterday singing was a huge hit, I taught ‘lean on me’ and ‘kum-ba-ya’. Today we drew portraits. It is so interesting to get to know personalities with these activities we do. Who is out-going, who is artsy, leadership roles etc.

Today Tia Cacilda informed me there was a ‘faliciamento’ and asked it I wanted to go. I feel committed to these hours I set with the girls and had a class in the next hour so I let her go alone. After the art lesson I was very curious what this ‘faliciamento’ was, so I asked the girls to show me where Tia went so I could go to. Perhaps some party? They told me to put on a lenco (head scarf) and a blouse. When the girl who took me got to a certain distance, she pointed to the house I was to go to, and she turned and left after giving instructions on the kind of greeting I should say and what they will respond with. So I followed instructions and got to the house with dozens of woman sitting on the ground. People in this area know me, although I don't know them, and I was called to sit with someone. I still did not see Tia. One lady asked if I would like to go to the other place with her, and I was curious so I did. When I got there, there was hundreds of woman sitting on the grass, other woman in a line that entered a circle of mango trees that form a sort-of house of trees. Loud wailing was herd, coming from in the trees. I was told to take off my sandals and get in line. Inside the tree clearing men gathered around the grave of a woman with 2 nearly born babies, and us woman in the line assembled to the grave to scoop two scoops of sand to burry the three. Luckily I was after a couple hundred women and so I could not see a body. Everything was very symbolic, and then after we left the tree line, people checked themselves and went back to their daily lives. Death is part of life, and they realize it in Africa. It is just sad to know that there were two lives that didn't have a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment