Sunday, August 9, 2009

Akron - land of the Amish


So I am out of Canada, and in Akron, Pennsylvania, land of the Amish. I am here with around 120 people going to 23 different countries doing different development projects and programmes around the world. I must say, thank your for all those who gave m

e encouraging letters and love> mom who sneaks one in my suitcase and dad who, of course, writes on graph-paper (perhaps written in the comfort of his garage?). I will keep those and probably need to re-read them later in the trip. But for now I am enjoying Akron, which is soooo humid! Flashy thunder-lightning storms this morning and afternoon!

I am really getting to practice all my languages and more! People from Africa with many languages, Brazil and other South American countries, even a girl from Jordan to practice Arabic etc. I don't even know where to start… but I am making an effort to hang with the three Brazilians, for Mozambique is a Portuguese speaking country.

MCC has arranged really awesome house groups in very themed and nice houses. I think its so luxurious it will be more of a culture shock going from here to Africa this Saturday, then if I had gone straight to Africa. I am sharing a room with a girl from Zimbawe named Kudzai who is giving me good advice about Africa. The rest of the week is filled with orientation. Not looking forward to lots of sitting, but I have already explored the streets of Akron and seen horse and buggy with some other runners.

Going to be a busy week

ps. i over packed! and now I have to dump over 26 lbs of stuff and leave it here! I don't care too much about the cloths, its just my art supplies and activities to keep me sane in down-times that I don't want to leave. ahh!

cheers

lexy

No comments:

Post a Comment