Monday, August 17, 2009

At the Airport- written Aug 16th

Is there a record of the longest stay in continuous airports? Well, perhaps the movie “the Terminal” wins, but I have spent a lot of time in airports, planes and links + tunnels between the two. The night before I left Akron, Pennsylvania, I decided I was going to stay up all night and pull an ‘all-nighter’ because we had to drive to the airport at 3:30am anyways. I was the only one who pulled though, but I did it> cant back out of your own initiative right? The first flight was 19mins! The second was 45 mins. I managed to fall asleep on both immediately because I had not had sleep for over 24 hours. The third flight, I prepped myself up, but ironically was NOT able to sleep for ANY of the flight. Typical. There were 9 of us who were going to different African countries and flying the Johannesburg together, so it was great to have a group on the plane. Of course everyone was seated together in the 50s… except my seat… back in the 70s! Typical. But to be honest I am glad it worked out that way. I sat beside a group of Afrikaners (the white south African man) whom all have the best accents. I learnt some Africana (like a white mans African with a twist of Dutch). E.g.: Thank you = bouyadonkie (said like buy a donkey). I never knew someone could fit in such irregular positions in airplane seats, and I am sure I invented some new ones. The guy beside me laughed often and called me ‘a peanut’.

This plane was ‘que rico!’ lux! I got wine, meals, refreshments, towel, toothpaste and toothbrush etc., movies and games of your choice galore. The 23 lbs of books I brought in a book bag didn't even get opened. (I tell you that thing is a burden to carry around in the airport along with my huge hiking pack + laptop, and a purse). No one has noticed I have 3 carry-ons yet.

Our group just departed and I have one more plane to go > to Beira. Tomorrow, August 17th is my 19th birthday! My first full day in Africa. (time change is 7 hours different, will I be jet legged?) The next day I am being dropped off (9 hour drive on crowded bus perhaps) in the rural Machanga, Mozambique for 3 weeks without contact from the white world. Year nineteen begins here.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Didn't we fall asleep at the same time the night before?? Or did you secretly stay up ;)? And don't fret a purse actually doesn't count as a carry on! You get two bags and your purse! I love your background picture! Its totally you! And I have the exact same one from our ballet in the park escapades except maybe minus jimmy neutron lol!

    ReplyDelete