Friday, August 14, 2009

VISA anyone?




I have been in Akron for about a week and met all sorts of cultures. We had a talent/music night, and Ezekiel, a man from Kenya and Teddy (short for his full name) from Ethiopia, asked me to learn and sing a Swahili song with them in front of everyone. They asked me because I had spoken Swahili and the little bit of Arabic I knew with them and they thought it would be good for me to sing with them. Also, a group of us girls presented Michael Jackson’s’ “THRILLER” to show some American culture to those new to North America. People are so interesting > I say this as I think of Samhali the Haitian, New-Yorker going to Kenya, who presented an amazing poem comparing her NY lifestyle with the lifestyle of her previous visits to Kenya. I am in for a trip.

Everyone seems to really be bonding. Now names are solidifying in memory and each night we stay up later and later. It will be a bittersweet parting… if I can. I still don't have my visa and I am promised it will come Friday… TODAY… If I do I leave tomorrow as scheduled… I just HAVE to go to AFRICA!

I have dumped over 26 lbs of overweight baggage and am leaving it behind. What a waist of paying overweight charges: lesson to be learnt. If I do not leave this weight behind, in Johannesburg it will cost me $400 per bag of over-weightness. Yicks! Remember: simple living and flexibility is KEY


Hot-humid days here, playing frizbee, volleyball, tennis, running around and exploring the local area. A group of us found a little East Indian grocery store. Harvrit, the 72-year-old man whom owns the store has more energy then a 30 year old. He, an interesting character, born and raised in Uganda, and now lives in the USA selling Indian goods. He was exited we were there and gave us samosas, fresh chai tea (chai-masala the good stuff) and a bag of cardamom-crunchy, chip-like snacks. I await to meet locals and make regulars with the people in the markets of Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment