Tuesday, August 18, 2009

It’s my party, I can run if I want to… run if I want to…

Yes, I am here! I arrived in Africa, and went on yet another, but this time tiny, plane to Beira Mozambique to arrive at a tiny airport. Then paid for my VISA using my limited Portuguese. 6 very well-dressed Mozambiquans greeted me along with Cheryl and Steve, an American couple with their 2 kids who are some of the most intelligent I have come across. This couple is apart of MCC and has taken me in their house and are orienting me around Beira until Tuesday. I felt very important having these well-dress people meet scrubby-traveled-on-a-plane-for-2-days me, and shook their firm hand shakes > “muito prasser” (much pleaser or pleased to meet you). As we drove to their house, I saw AFRICA! People on bikes, sometimes 2 or 3 at a time, chapas (mini transport buses which I will very soon get very familiar with) baskets on heads, people rolling tiers. Everyone is active, walking, selling something, talking… I love it! I wanted to go out and try and talk with everyone… but its not so easy sticking out like a sore-purple thumb. I don't want to look like a tourist either, so my camera will stay hidden for a while. The house is barred in, and they have a personal night guard. Its in a good area > a block from the beach! I went running this morning. Alone… yes mom, they said I could and it was safe enough with the light. Some were training for karate or something, I wished it were capoeira so I could join in, but apparently that word means ‘chicken house’ here. I have had a wonderful breakfast of hot bread from the bakery just beside the house which sweet, freshness wafts over making it smell like happiness whenever we arrive back home. I got 2 birthday cakes today, both delicious, the food so far I have had has been great… Cheryl makes wonderful dishes as well as their espredora (house helper/cleaner/cooker) who made grilled chicken and coconut rice for lunch with a sweet salad. I met the board of the church, and they are taking my position in Machanga very serious, and they seem to have a lot of hope and faith in me. Everything has been in Portuguese with Steve helping me out when I cant get it all in. We have little meetings all over the place and people are so hospitable. They serve coke and fantas in glass bottles (cheaper then cans of pop because they are recycled) and biscuits. For supper we went to a restaurant on the ocean. It was one of Beira’s cold days and was quite windy, but was enjoyable to the local Winnipegger. I am learning lessons fast > I absentmindedly left my purse at the restaurant. Luckily when we got home I realized and we drove back and it was still there. I’ll blame it on the jet-leg (which I don't think I have too much symptoms to) this time, but if it happens again…

Off to Machanga early tomorrow… over 8 hours of driving to my new home.

ps. i will NOT have internet for at least these 3 weeks, but feel free to call or text me at 011-258- 824-276-27

No comments:

Post a Comment